Pages

Friday, July 10, 2015

Part 2 of Thailand, Dec 2014 in Bangkok

Crazy strong wind and heavy rainfall in Brunei today! Trees falling and being uprooted, roofs peeling off and scaffolding falling from rooftops, hitting trees! My senior keeps warning of the End coming, but I really hope it doesn't before September, when I go to England and Europe!

Just watched Return to Sender, starring Rosamund Pike (Gone Girl). My advise if you're planning to watch it: Don't.

Thailand 2014! Yet again in no particular order because my photos are all over the place (and missing) and I have very selective memory of what happened.

I remember our trip was not planned properly for the trip to the ever-epic Chatuchak (or JJ) Market. This Market is huge and has everything you will ever need, from bags and clothes to pets and little trinkets, and lots of food! Unfortunately, we had other things planned for the day and Chatuchak Market is only completely open on Sundays. Some stalls are closed on Saturdays, and the Market is closed on weekdays.
It was such a gem for us to stumble upon. It was the most delish mango sticky rice I had in the entire trip. And trust me, I had a LOT of this stuff!

Coconut ice cream on a hot day! There is another famous one with the flags but we couldn't find that one. This one sufficed.

Perf on a hot day (which it was!)
This Italian man and his Paella seem to be very popular in Chatuchak. Unfortunately we didn't get to try it. Next time! Stay there k, Mr. Italian man.
We had lunch at this pretty run-down looking place but as expected, food was cheap, and incredibly authentic, and it was good! We were so proud of ourselves for pulling it off. But I guess its not that big a victory when there were simple English words and.. you can see westerners eating there too. Hahaha


I always feel incredibly awed at the love and affection Thais have for their king. The locals have nothing but praise when it comes to King Bhumibol Adulyadej. He rose to throne at a very young age and he did a lot for his country and his people. I wish him good health.

When we were there, it was his birth month, so there were tributes to him in literally every corner of Bangkok and Hua Hin.

An important thing to note about Bangkok is that there are a lot of cunning con artists out to get tourists.

My trip to Bangkok had a terrible experience because of that, where we were conned by local Thais.
It was on the day when we planned an entire day to see the Sleeping Buddha in Wat Pho and the Grand Palace. However, before we could walk up to the entrance, we were encountered by a seemingly friendly Thai, who told us it was closed. We were bummed and he suggested to us to visit Wat Arun instead, and that he knew people who very coincidentally consisted of a tuktuk driver and a boat driver. I guess we should've known better, but thankfully my bf felt something was weird so he told them we only wanted to visit Wat Arun, instead of the entire tour around the river.

The tuktuk driver took us to a textile shop, as well as a jewelry shop. Obviously was a completely planned trip, where they received commission for any purchase. We didn't have to buy anything but we were uncomfortable with the hoarding from the sales people, especially at the textile shop. We managed to come out without purchasing anything. Deals were good, but we did not need textile. We wanted to see some temples.
I did purchase a ruby pendant for my best friend as a wedding gift.

I feel really angry thinking back on the first man we met. He was so cunning like a fox that it disgusts me to my bones now thinking about it. He kept saying things like, we are clever people and he is just helping us to go around. Freakin SOB.

Boat ride to Wat Arun. It was crazy expensive compared to a normal non-con job boat ride.

Tuktuk driver who was part of the scam. We did not really blame this man as he seemed to be making an honest living with his life, doing what he had to earn money, so we tipped him. And he was nice, albeit looking like the clown from AHS: Circus. Lol.

On the bright side, Wat Arun indeed was a beautiful temple. (Wat= temple)

From Google: Wat Arun Ratchawararam Ratchawaramahawihan or Wat Arun (Thai pronunciation: [wát ʔarun], "Temple of Dawn") is a Buddhisttemple (wat) in Bangkok Yai district of BangkokThailand, on the Thonburi west bank of the Chao Phraya River. The temple derives its name from the Hindu god Aruna,[1] often personified as the radiations of the rising sun. Wat Arun is among the best known of Thailand's landmarks and the first light of the morning reflects off the surface of the temple with pearly iridescence.[2]Although the temple had existed since at least the seventeenth century, its distinctive prang (spires) were built in the early nineteenth century during the reign of King Rama II.


We managed to get to the top. P/s you also have to be properly covered here. I went in jeans, so it was ok. I think for this Wat, you have to pay for renting the cloths.
Going up was the easy part. Coming back down, was no easy feat. I have a fear of heights, so I think it took me a while to finally accept it and not to make myself go so high up and end up feeling terrified out of my skull. Haha.
We managed to get back down safely. It was really scary because the stairs were really, really steep.

Majestic!
To get to Wat Arun, you must cross this river. There is also an entrance fee, which I cannot remember but it wasn't a lot.

Me by the river, waiting for the boat to bring us back
p/s It was crazy hot the entire time we were in Bangkok!

The "tour" also included a visit to this temple which for the life of me, I cannot remember the name of :(




Beautiful interior of the roof inside the temple


That is about all about my trip to Thailand because I cannot find my other pictures. But let me tell you about where we stayed. :)

We stayed at the Ibis Bangkok Siam hotel, which was decently priced and more importantly, right next to BTS National Stadium. BTS is the very efficient and very convenient sky train, and is one stop away from the Siam shopping centre. Like all Ibis hotels, it confirms the basics you will need at a hotel, and was reasonably clean and had good service.

Good night, and happy weekend x

No comments:

Post a Comment